Welcome to my Book Recommendations & BookClub!
Are you a serial book buyer?
Do you love to read?
Have you got a pile of books you've been meaning to get to?
Do you enjoy conversing with others, sharing your thoughts, and hearing their reflections too?
Are you trying to parent in a way that feels more aligned, explore your triggers, understand yourself and others better, or improve your mental health and wellbeing?
Then you've come to the right place!
This Book Club is run bi-monthly meaning we read one book over two months. This is held primarily over on my Instagram @thegentlecounsellor so make sure you are following me and a top tip to make sure you see my posts is to also go the extra step and tap the Star icon which will add me to your favourites and that way Instagram will always show you my posts. This is where I will be posting the new book club read, sharing my own reflections and insights, and that is where you get to comment and engage in book club discussions with me and each other. Occasionally I may do Lives or host Zoom sessions for us to chat further.
This page is where I will post current, past, and upcoming book club reads with links for you to purchase too. Please note these are my affiliate links which does not cost you anything, it just helps me earn a little bit if you use my links to purchase.
If you'd like to recommend a book that you either already own and want to read or one that you've heard great things about please DM me your suggestion! I want this to be a collaborative space.
My top tips for success is
- You need to actually read the book. I know, easier said than done. By following me we will provide each other with accountability, I also give you a number of pages to read each day as your goal to get through the book.
- Consider creating a routine or ritual. You may like to have a designated cosy space for reading, leave your book on your pillow to remind you before you go to sleep, or set an alert on your phone's calendar. These are some ways you can help remind yourself to stay on track.
- Do you have the time, energy, and interest for this? Some books you may be super keen to read, and others you may feel a bit meh. That's ok! You are not obligated to join each one. Also, life happens. Certain periods of your life may make this participation feel more doable than others. Please don't put pressure on yourself to engage. When the time is right, it'll happen. It's never too late.
- Invite a friend or spouse to join you! Because this is all run online and essentially with strangers on the internet, you may like to invite someone you know and trust with a shared interest to do this together.
- You do not have to spend money to join this Book Club. I will provide links to purchase but another great option is to download the Libby app and connect that to your local library account. You can find many ebooks and audiobooks this way for free. With this in mind too, make sure to utilise your local library as they will likely have copies of the books. Another option is to ask around if anyone you know can lend you their copy, sell it to you for a discount, or remember that friend I said to invite? You can share the book and cost together by taking turns.
I can't wait to get reading with you. Feel free to keep me accountable too. Just like you, life can take over for me too. I will always do my best to stay on track but please remember I too am human and occasionally I may drop the ball here. My primary goals for this Book Club are to be relaxed, and enjoyable, and to have intellectual conversations with a like-minded community. (and to finally read that pile of books!)
Books I Recommend!
Caroline Dooner tackles the inherent flaws of dieting and diet culture, and offers readers a simple path to healing their physical, emotional, and mental relationship with food.
by Caroline Dooner